Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saving Time And Getting Fit

One of the biggest issue's people seem to have when it comes to training is time. Everyone is looking for the fastest way to meet their individual goals. The key, as has been said many times is, working smarter not harder. This is especially true with getting maximum benefits in minimum time.

I am going to give an example of a quick workout routine I used when I only had 1/2 hour to workout. This workout has a lot of flexibility so you can use it to gain size and strength or change it to burn more fat while maintaining muscle.

The Key to this workout is super sets. A super set is combining 2 or more exercises before taking your rest or break.


My best results came from combining opposing muscles groups, 1 push and 1 pull.

Day 1

Chest and Biceps
5 Sets of Flat Bench press combined with standing Curls.
Then 5 sets of chest flys with concentration curls

Day 2

Back and Triceps

5 Sets of wide grip pulldowns combined with 5 sets French Press( also know as skull crushers)
Then 5 sets of seated rows combined rope pulldowns

Day 3 Rest

Day 4

LEGS

5 sets of squats combined with calf raises
Then 5 leg extensions combined with 5 leg curls

Day 5

Shoulders and pick a body part day
Note- with shoulder I add one of the previous body parts or 2 parts that I may want to get more out of, This is why it is the last day and all other upper body work has been done at least 2 days ago so you have some rest and do not over train.

5 sets of shoulder press combined with( examples chest fly, triceps kick back, single arm curl etc.)

Then 5 sets shoulder fly with ( I would pick a different body part to break things up so if you did triceps in the first 5 do biceps in this set of 5

Change this how you like it's really just a guide. Something else I liked to do to add some extra cardio was add a 3rd cardio exercise with each set. I train in Martial arts so I would practice a couple of Kata full speed and power. You could add a minute of Jab Cross combos or just jumping jacks.

Keep all resting between sets at a max. 90 seconds and you should be able to bang this routine out in 20-30 minutes. All exercises should be done to failure for the rep range you are working in to make this routine effective.


I used my Bowflex to do all the weight training in this routine and it is the best home gym I have ever used or seen. If you want to learn a little more or just get the latest discount codes check out my Squidoo lense on the Bowflex.

http://www.squidoo.com/Bowflexrocks

No comments: